The year 2014 has been kind to
me. I have had the best of times. Two things have been knocked off my bucket
list. One- To go on a trip with friends to a nice place. Second- To watch the
divine magic of God on a tennis court with my own eyes!
And then, there was that trip to
the USA. From the west coast to the east coast, it was one month full of
unimaginable fun. Looking back and savoring those moments of pure joy, I
consider myself to be very lucky to have such a great set of people around me.
Five people will stand out for me in this trip- my ingratiating maama , my
gracious maami, my impish little cousin Aruj, my cool elder brother Ankit
and my charming friend Aastha. These people made this once in a lifetime
experience for me. When I had set out for airport on the 6th of March, I could
not have imagined what overwhelmingly delightful times that awaited me. Neither
could I have imagined that there was a whole set of new learning that this
grand trip was going to give me. I am going to jot down few random things that
I learned from my visit to Uncle Sam.
1.
Smile- Small
things in life can make a huge difference to your day. And nowhere was it more
evident than at the airport of India and US. In India, while leaving as well as
coming back, I had to cross the immigration. The people sitting there give you
such insinuating looks as if they have pronounced you guilty even before you
hand them your passport. Their sour tones leave a bad taste in your mouth. In
USA, as I approached the official, his first remark was-" Hi! How was your
flight?”. It is a basic greeting, and yet coupled along with a nice smile, this gesture makes you feel
welcomed. The brilliant words of Charlie Chaplin come to my mind- "You'll find that life is still worthwhile, if you just
smile.”
2.
Enthusiasm- I did a
hike of about 30km at the Grand Canyon, Arizona. We went down 6000ft. and came
back up in about nine hours. In the morning, my maama was not sure about it. It
was going to be physically taxing and we had to reach back before it got dark
and cold. On top of that, we were late in leaving too. While following the
trail, we discussed the possibility of taking a short cut. I was vehemently
opposed to it, but my pragmatic maama had more sense. But on our way, we met
this rather nice man, who was walking much slower than us and yet he told us he
was going to come back up the same day. Looking at his pace, I was sure he was
not going to make it up by the evening. But he said that now they had set out,
he had no choice and he would eventually complete it. He was supremely
confident about completing the trek in time. When he asked us about our plans,
we said we were not sure. The nearly 50 year old guy laughed and said that we
would definitely be able to complete it as we were younger and fitter. The ray
of enthusiasm that he conjured also changed our minds and we decided to go for
the full trek. Fortunately, we made it back on time!
My whole point is that it is heartening
to see the spirit of the people there. Whilst we were trekking, we came across
people of all age groups, some as old as 70. Imagine a 70 yr old doing that
trek! Ladies with new born kids were at it also despite the arduous task of
carrying the kids on their shoulder. It is heartwarming to see such people and
their attitude rubs onto you in some way or the other.
3.
Greetings- Everywhere and
anywhere I went, the first thing that people do is greet each other. At the
supermarket, at the ticket counters, at the restaurants, in the elevator,
people always greet each other. While walking down the road, if someone is
coming from the opposite side, you don’t look up and then pretend that he/she
doesn’t exist, instead you greet them which most of the times leads to a
conversation. While travelling across the western coast with maama, people at
counters always asked us where we were from and once we told that we came from
San Antonio, the conversation would inadvertently lead to San Antonio Spurs,
the basketball team of the city who were in a splendid form this season and who
just today crushed the Miami Heat to win the NBA. They would sometimes tell
about themselves too. It may appear bagatelle, but listening to them musing
about their past and their struggles is, in its own way, poignant. Not to
forget that when you greet, you smile which reinforces my first point. I firmly believe that this small
activity has a latent positive effect on all present and in a life where we are
always under stress, this habit is worth its weight in gold
4.
Productivity- It is impressive
to see how much can be done in a single day if backed by proper resources. On
an average day, I saw that after coming from office, you had more than 5 hours
wherein you could complete your daily chores, go out for a movie, visit the
local club, and have a nice dinner before returning home. All of this, without
compromising on any sleep. How is this achieved? The foremost necessity is
having good infrastructure. We never realize the amount of man hours wasted on
roads while driving. If somehow we could cut down on that, how much more could
we do in a single day! While on the west coast, we drove about 2500 km in one
week and yet we had so much time to enjoy the places we visited. On no day was
the drive time more than 7 hours and it was nil on a couple of days. It would
have been possible nowhere but USA. This happened simply because of the good
roads and connectivity. I see myself and my friends spending hours in
travelling. Hours that could be utilized in a much better way. A realm of possibility
open up if we somehow manage to save that time.
5.
Value of Human Life- While at Indian
Wells, I heard a distant sound of police siren whilst we were driving around
the city. Immediately, all the cars on BOTH SIDE OF ROAD moved to the last
lane. I was surprised seeing that the police car was from the opposite side. I
was told that when a police, ambulance or a fire brigade siren is on, the cars
on both sides of road have to make way, else there is legal action. This is to
ensure that the emergency car has an alternative route in case one side of road
is jammed. On another occasion, I was standing in the parking trying to pull something
out of the car when my maama told me to move aside and close the gate of the
car. Looking back, I saw a young man was waiting patiently to park his car. I
was surprised, as there was a huge space behind me, despite my door being open.
But the explanation was that the driver of the other car would never try to
enter whilst I was standing because if by any chance I was hurt, he would be
liable for that.
What I learnt from these instances was that human
life has a value there. You are not just any resource that is expendable and of
no worth. There is respect for you and your life. It makes you feel secure,
confident and thankful to your country.
I could definitely
add a few more points to the list, but if I have to recollect the five things
that had the most impact on me, it would be these. It has been a great
experience visiting the country and I hope I get another chance to travel there
again.
No comments:
Post a Comment